Royal Geelong Yacht Club representatives attended the the Annual Barwon Sports Academy Awards on Monday night. Our very own Michael Parks was a nominee for the Lee Troop Award and won the this award on Monday night. Its been a huge year for Michael who also won the 2018 Junior Sailor of the Year. Congratulations to Michael on a very well deserving win!
The Lee Troop Award for Excellence is the highest award a BSA athlete can achieve. This award is for all round excellence on the traits of Lee Troop and the traits BSA athletes are known for. They include: high achievement within their chosen sport, a commitment to community events and activities, displaying leadership, setting an example to others, achieving positive results at school or their work place, committing to the whole BSA program and displaying a positive attitude to all aspects of life.
Michael has a very extensive list of achievements:
- Victorian Titles; won the Laser 4.7, 1st place as a State Champion
in the Open and Under 18 Division
- Placed 7th at the Australian Championships
- Qualified for the World Championships
- Competed at the WASZP Victorian and Australian Championships
- Placed 4th at the WASZP Class Regatta
- Placed 6th in his heat at the World Championships in Gdynia, Poland.
- Placed 3rd in the Applecross Cup in Perth
- Placed 2nd overall in the Spring Sail
- Placed 5th at the Western Australian Youth Championships
- Placed 16th at the New South Wales Youth Championships